Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What Am I?



You reveal yourself by the friends you seek,      
By the manner in which you speak, 
By how you use your leisure time,   
By the use you make of dollar and dime. 
 
You reveal yourself by the things you wear,       
By the spirit in which your burdens you bear,    
By the type of things at which you laugh, 
By the records you play on your phonograph.
   
You reveal yourself by the way you walk,
By the things of which you like to talk,     
By the manner in which endure defeat,      
By so simple a thing as how you eat.        
By the books you choose from the library shelf, 
By these things and more, you reveal yourself.


Starting next week I will serialize my book on vegetarianism and Buddhism.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ven. Maybe that is useful for your work:

Considering food as the path:

http://vanaradari.blogspot.com/2012/05/haben-wir-als-buddhisten-das-recht.html

So we might get free of "I am" and the questions about.

beforewisdom said...

Could you tell us the title of your book and where we might find it?

Thanks

Steve

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Beforewisdom, I found the poem on the internet some months ago. It had no name and sorry, but I can’t remember on which web site I found it.