Thursday, March 11, 2010

Old Age

‘Shame on you, miserable old age, you who make the complexion fade. This alluring mannequin is laid low, by the relentless march of ageing’ (S.V,217).
I read this verse a few days ago and it reminded me of my own physical decline. But then it occurred to me that I’ve never been much to look at so there is not much to moan about there. So I thought I might look up some of the great ‘icons’ of my youth to see what ageing has done to their ‘alluring’ beauty. Two I thought of were Liza Minnelli and Joe Dallesandro. A few moments on Google Image gave me these images. Just look at what miserable old age’ (and probably a lot of booze, drugs, late nights and serial marriages and divorces) have done to them!










7 comments:

Don Croner said...

You forgot about Keith Richards

Unknown said...

I wonder, perhaps some things might improve with age. I remember visiting Singapore years ago, and among the Chinese, Indians, and Malays, I met some fine people. Can't say the same for everything though. I bought a Mandarin-English dictionary, and the word 'nepotism' was not included.

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Don,
But he always looked like that!

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Nepotism, the belief that you should say ‘No’ to pot.

anotherqueerjubu said...

Today is Liza Minelli's 64th birthday. And while she isn't looking great, that photo of her is the sort of photo a tabloid that wanted to rough her up would print.

BTW, I know you weren't fishing for compliments — and I held off writing this when you published those photos of you when you first took orders (and with a full head of hair) but I think you were quite hot as a young man. (Somehow I think some Buddhist hell awaits me now).

Shravasti Dhammika said...

I assure you AQJB, anyone who gives me complements is assured a place in heaven.

bobzane said...

there are just not enough Joe Dallesandro/Dhamma blog posts.